Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Today

Yesterday we played around in Quechee, today we visited Woodstock. Woodstock has such things as shops that specialize in Vermont wool, bookstores, covered bridges, and somewhere in the area is the Appalachian Trail. We drove twice through the area where the AT supposedly crosses the highway, but I saw neither hide nor hair of it. I thought sure there would be through-hikers crossing the road right when we got there; no such luck.

Braden did not get a nap all day yesterday, and he slept for maybe 30 minutes today, but he's going strong. Everyone else is well also. We had lunch today at a little bistro in Woodstock, and supper at Panera Bread across the border in Lebanon, New Hampshire.

For those of you who may be wondering, Dad came through his surgery well. He had a complete hip replacement on Monday morning, and was up and around, albeit gingerly, that afternoon. He started rehab today, and Mom's message on my phone was that the rehab technician was amazed at how willing Dad was to get up and around, and how strong he seemed to be already. It would be like my Dad to have hip replacement and go walk a trail a week later. When he had quintiple bypass surgery 12 years ago the doctor asked him as part of his pre-surgical consultation, "If I asked you to walk around the block right now, could you do it?" Dad's honest reply was, "I played three hours of two-hand touch football yesterday!" He's a tough bird.

That's enough for today. We're leaving very early tomorrow morning for parts unknown and I think my mom is the only one still looking anyway. Tomorrow morning we head toward home. We're heading for Indy to spend three days with Valerie's family at the Holidome before we point Blue Van toward Medaryville. By the way, she's embarrassed about me referring to her as "Hot Wife." I'll just have to apologize. Once a nickname is earned, it pretty well sticks. While in Indy I'll run down and visit the folks either at the hospital or back home in Columbus depending on how many days Dad spends in the hospital. Our plan tomorrow is to drive as far west as we can possibly stand, then get a hotel room wherever we end up. I'd like to make it as far as Cleveland, which is 10 hours from here, but would still leave us with 4 hours on Thursday. When you come this far east, ya gotta get home somehow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man....... I'm still here. I've enjoyed every minute of this blog.... I just was on my own trip too. Plus... I don't always have too much to say :-)

Mombo said...

Continuing to enjoy the blog - though I am at a loss concerning Val's new nickname. I'm wondering what yours is, Mike, though I realize I shouldn't even be imagining! The pictures add a whole lot - like seeing Braden's blank look on the train, his "on the run again" look, etc. Glad that Brenna was rewarded for jumping in the pool - oh, so many memories from this trip! Once again today, John wowed everyone with his willingness to go one more believing "no pain-no gain." He's doing great - we're so appreciative of people's prayers and of God's goodness. See y'all soon when you return to the great Hoosier state (reluctant as you may be).

Anonymous said...

Oh, this trip has been GREAT !!!!
I feel like I've seen the East coast and haven't left my office. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. Sounds like you all had a wonderful vacation together and I know you will remember it always. Different memories for different members I'm sure. Anyway, have a safe rest of the trip and hope your new occupational endeavor works out well.