Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Firsts Day @ Clan Mackay

1 down, 179 to go. School has begun; great joy for some, much consternation for others.

Three big firsts in the McKay household today. 1st first: today was Brenna's first day of kindergarten. She is in Mrs. Linback's class at West Central. As a recently retired teacher, I was available to drop off the yahoos along with Hot Wife this morning. It was cute watching Alex and Brenna walking into school holding hands. Alex was walking pretty fast so Brenna's little legs were really pumping to keep up. She had a good first day and Mrs. Linback is a wonderful teacher. I expect Brenna will be running the class shortly.

2nd first: today was Drew's first day in middle school. He has a locker, walks from class to class during passing periods, and he gets more food than students in the elementary building. He also has the potential of being tardy to class, so we dropped him off first. West Central MS is a Block 4 school, so Drew will have 90 minute classes, then a whole new set of classes after Christmas.

3rd first: today was Mike's unofficial first day working full-time at Timm Services. Of course, mid-August isn't an especially busy time in crop insurance, so my time today and for the forseeable future will be spent getting things figured out, working on various things (particularly computer projects) that have been awaiting my arrival, and beginning a few new projects to build the business. I arrived around 8:30, headed for the John Deere dealership around 9:30 to pick up our new mapping software (we write crop insurance for John Deere Risk Protection), and made it back to the office just in time for a lunch meeting with our church's assistant pastor. We ate lunch at West Central, which Scott does occassionally to visit with our kids who attend there as well as meeting new students. Ironic, huh? I get out of education largely due to the unhealthy/tasteless food, and on my very first day of freedom from KV I eat school lunch!

This is my first blog entry in, what, a week or so? When we got home from The Big Trip I was unable to get on the internet. Couldn't figure out why for three days. Restarted the computer a few times, reset the wireless router a few times, ran the troubleshooter...all that jazz. There is a nice little computer store in Winamac, so I popped in there on my way through town to see if they could figure it out. Turns out there's a little sliding switch on the front of the laptop that, if slid to the left making the light turn orange, prevents the computer from detecting network connections. Go figure. That which eluded me for three days took the nice man, who didn't even charge me anything, about 30 seconds. For those of you at The Valley, it was a lot like going in to ask Ron Hine a question. You walk in completely befuddled, and walk out feeling like Elmer Fudd. I guess there are things at which I enjoy a certain level of expertise, but finding switches on the front of computers is evidently not on that list. Bet that won't ever happen again.

It's fun to work in the office with HW. I can't see how she ever gets anything done, what with The Octopus running around pulling everything down. He's a trip.

Goodbye from Medaryville.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck to the McKay kiddies on their first day back! Our first day was a typical first KV day back. I don't need to explain. Any job openings with Timm Services yet?

Anonymous said...

We also have returned from our Eastern vacation. Everyone made it through with minor bumps...mainly we got lost everytime we tried to drive somewhere. No harm done, just got to see more of the beautiful countryside. Tyson is back to work. I am back to being a mom. I had to run to KV just to say hi to my friends. Lots of changes at DES this year. It should be interesting for them. I am glad the kids made it to school. I would say that Valarie is getting more done now, but knowing that Braden is still home. She still has her hands full with him. Keep on bloggin' and we'll keep readin'!!

Anonymous said...

Uh oh, the Valley's Rebel Squad is missing you already !!

Mombo said...

Lots of "firsts" happening in the McKay Chronicles for you all. C-H-A-N-G-E is what it seems to me. Life is full of it. Yet, it seems that because God is in charge, we can learn to trust Him to help us adjust. And when He supplies someone to help with those little things (like a little thing on the front of the laptop), well, just praise Him and enjoy life!