Sunday, September 16, 2007

Let's Go Green

I am a big fan of the Chicago White Sox.

Whewww, I said it. It's finally out. And allow me to add that I cannot stand the Chicago Cubs. I would like nothing better than to see them lose 12 straight here...just absolutely go down in flames like the bunch of flamers they are. I hope they lose the NL Central by 10 games. For those of you poor souls out there who say, "I root for both the Cubs and the White Sox," I say phooey on you. Do you root for both Hilary (that's the root word for hilarious) Clinton and Mike Huckabee? Do you root for both Lex Luthor and Superman? Do you root for both God and Satan? Do you root for both Jerry Seinfeld and Newman? C'mon here, make a decision! No fence-sitting for me--I'm a Sox guy.

In 2005 it was fun to be a Sox fan, you know? People were even jumping in the bandwagon, riding the coattails of the real fans just like the White Sox were riding the right arms of Jose Contreras and Jon Garland. This year...not so much. They're about the worst team in baseball. But I'll tell 'ya this, boys and girls--it's still fun to go to the ballpark!

Friday night was Halfway to St. Pattie's Day at the old ballpark. In honor of the day, the boys in black wore their green uniforms...my personal favorites. In case you wonder why in Sam Hill the Sox would wear green uniforms, it is due to the fact that Chicago's history is heavily influenced by the Irish. I know this to be true because my brother is a history teacher, and therefore I'm not allowed to make up historical events or facts. I've been wearing a green Sox hat with the shamrock for several years. In fact, my old hat went stinky so I bought a new one at the ballpark back on my birthday. People often see it and attempt to mock me. "The White Sox don't wear green, you idiot." Sometimes I let them know otherwise, but often I just let it go. Best not to have a battle of wits with the unarmed.

Valerie and I left home mid-morning on Friday to head up Chicago way. On the way we made a few stops (she bought Drew and I a mini-lathe so we can begin making all of our Christmas presents!...at least that's the plan), but we made it to the Big Windy mid-afternoon. We stayed at the Palmer House Hilton...that's right, kids...22nd floor...executive level. You know how sometimes you can't really afford to do something, but you just really want to do it anyway? This is an example of that. Never having stayed anywhere near downtown before--in fact, I rarely get anywhere north of Comiskey Park or west of the Dan Ryan--it was fun to enjoy a little swank.
We took the Red Line to the ballpark ($2 each--that's the way to go) and I gotta tell you, there is just nothing in life quite like walking through the tunnel and emerging into the bright sunshine of a beautiful baseball stadium. Stories don't always have a happy ending, but this one does! The Sox won 5-3 behind the solid pitching of Jose Contreras and the Big Wide Guy (remember Ozzie calling for Jenks at the end of WS '05 Game 1?). Big Jim Thome is sitting on 499 home runs and we were hoping to see #500, but alas, he struck out twice instead. So it wasn't a perfect evening, but it was close. The brats were hot and the sauercraut was tasty.

My mom came from Columbus to watch the three older ones, which was much appreciated. Dad is healing nicely from his hip replacement so she was able to get away for a night. She took the kiddies to Pizza Hut and they had a good time.

I hope you enjoyed this installment of The McKay Chronicles.

1 comment:

Shop Teacher Bob said...

I just can not let this one go! Phoey on the Sox vs Cubs crap. I am a BASEBALL FAN and my butt is too big to sit on any fence Mckay. I was happy as a clam when the Sox won and I have felt bad this year that they have been struggling. That said I am having a great time watching the Cubbies this year, win loose or draw, they have been playing interesting ball. And even with the stutter I can understand Lou which most people can't understand the Oz even if he speaks slowly. I like Milwaukee's sausage race. I liked Cincinatti when old Marge was in charge. I think Pete Rose got stiffed, and that smart aleck Bonds* is a creep. I like baseball. And most of all Ron Santo rocks. Have you ever seen This Old Cub?
So Guillen gets five more years to whip the Sox back into shape. Gooo
luk to hing.