Thursday, February 7, 2008

No contest, really

Tonight the boy had his first ever wrestling meet. As it happened, and wasn't it lucky for me, the Dub (aka West Central) was grapplin' against the Valley (aka Kankakee Valley). Now, I could go on and on here, but for the sake of expediency, the picture to the left there is the nice man getting ready to tap out on behalf of the student-athlete from the Valley. This proved to be a recurring theme for the contest. Final tally: the Dub 126, the Valley 48. Boys and girls, that's a butt-kickin'. KV managed eight wins, all by pin, but the Dub won 20 matches by pin and another two by points. 22-8...that's a win in everything but golf. Before I can get too many good pictures of wrestling I'll have to buy a bigger zoom for the cam and figure out how to speed up the shutter. Wrestlers move even faster than basketballers. Drew was really nervous going into the meet, as it was his first time wearing a Speedo in front of a big crowd (a singlet is a little longer than a Speedo, but no less revealing; tough to cover up your bits and pieces, but fortunately for Drew he runs about 3% body fat), but we're all pretty thrilled with the results. I gotta tell ya, it made the Old Man pretty proud when the nice man tapped out the bad guys twice, both times pretty quick-like. The second kid was a little stronger and actually had the Drewster on the mat for a few seconds--literally; he was there for about two seconds, then Drew scored two on a reversal--which made Hot Wife a little anxious. For those of you from the Valley (and I know you're out there), it always feels a bit like David vs. Goliath when the Dub comes up against a school that's about four times as big, and I prefer to root for David. The grappling group from the Dub looks pretty strong this year. There are five or six kids I can think of who I would guess will wind up with a really good record. I can say this authoritatively because I've been a wrestling dad for almost two hours. 2 and 0...far to go.



The picture to the left shows a bit of the personality of Brookie. I hope you can tell from the picture--you may have to click on it and blow it up a bit--that she has glasses now. Yet another thing she was lucky enough to inherit from Pop. She went from being a 10-year-old cutie to looking about four years older overnight. She went for an interesting pair of glasses (Vera Bradley, who apparently is multitalented--lady's bags and glasses), and they definitely fit her personality. Alex actually cleaned her room a few weeks ago to the point that we could make sure she still had carpet and it was still purple, so out of sheer gratitude we allowed her to have two friends over for a bit of play. Her favorite thing to do (and Brenna too) is to dress up, and that they did, pom pom wigs and all. Alex, her two friends, and Brenna each found one of my old jerseys and sallied themselves up considerable. Her friends are identical twins, so putting themselves in costumes didn't help me any with the identification process. I guessed twice and was wrong both times. Call me a simpleton, but I found the girls pretty entertaining.

I read a few of the old blog entries last night, and it left me itching for another trip to the land of moose and lobster. I wonder how much crop insurance I'll have to sell to buy my own tiny island just off the coast of Maine...probably a lot. By the way, it occurred to me to say itching for another trip to the land of moose and crabs, but I didn't think anybody would get it...

If they ever decide the dollar has devalued too much be useful, I hope we switch to using Junior Mints for currency.

No comments: